Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Very unhappy camper

The day started OK, overcaste but no rain, from there it was all downhill.

After breakfast it started raining, then rained and rained. My race was with the VWF at Malderen, should have been about 45 minutes away but with the rain taking the easy route via the freeway was a mistake, the spray was fierce, there are so many more trucks on the road in Europe, then of course we got the obligatory snarl up changing routes, 45 minutes took 70 minutes, apart from being a pain it was no real problem I'm always early.

I found the race HQ (or bar) OK, found a parking spot, it was a bit rural so my chosen spot overlooked a paddock with half a dozen Shetland ponies running their equivalent of the Derby, they were frisky little dudes. Went and signed on, I already had my number, so 4 Euros and a quick signature and I'm good to go. Back to the car, get in out of the rain, take my time getting ready, oil the legs, oil the arms, wait in the car for a bit longer, no point in being out in the rain too long. Experience tells me that on days like today warm ups are a bit optional and the first few k's are taken at a slightly easier pace so I rode off down the road and just did a couple of K's, well I did 3k actually. Rolled up to the line flat tyre!

So a great day, wet through, 3km's in the legs, entry fee paid, what can I say I'm very unhappy at the moment. Travelled 12,000 miles to race and no race, hence unhappy camper!!!!!!


On the way home I stopped for some retail therapy! bought a nice present for my lovely wife but I actually went into the shop for a jersey for a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment