Sunday, August 11, 2013

Bit of an anti climax

My head wasn't really into to racing today, the experience of making this trip since 2008 tells me that I can't do myself justice in a race back to back. I know that I can be good every three days so two or three races a week nicely spaced I can do well.

I raced hard for a result yesterday, maybe I was a bit too profligate with my energy but I was enjoying the race so maybe I did too much. I signed on, did three laps warm up including one lap hard to see if my legs would respond and the answer was not really. The course was country lanes and some stretches were a bit 'sketchy' and I was thinking that at best today I would be hanging on, maybe a top ten if I used my head but should I? I was thinking that my last race should be one that I have good memories of, being the aggressor and getting a good result at the finish rather than one where I was just trying to survive. When it started to rain I was convinced, especially when I thought of how uncomfortable it was last time doing a 24 hour flight with a chewed up hip, so I put my bike back in the car and came back to the hotel.

I've managed to wrestle my bike and bits into the new hard shell case I had to buy, its a bit smaller than the old one but by jumping on it I managed to get it closed. It has much tougher fastenings I think and won't give way like the old one, I hope, mind you the old one has made the trip since 2008, plus some side trips so it doesn't owe me anything.

With the hard bit over I went to have a drink with Wim the chef, who wants to take me with him to the TDF next year, Walter the waiter, and the lovely Donna. I had to say goodbye to them today since I'll be gone before they turn into work tomorrow.

I have checked in to my flight and got my boarding cards for the flight home, still to pack my clothes but that shouldn't take long tomorrow morning. I'll leave for the airport around 12.30 tomorrow and be back in Melbourne Tuesday evening, can't wait now.

I've had a fantastic trip and I'm really pleased with my results, in the 'money' in every race, except where I punctured or had a mechanical and much much closer to a win than I would have thought possible before I came, so definitely happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment