Monday, August 5, 2013

Down day and a mix of items


Last corner from Friday / The big womens race / Front of start 'pen' at the ICF worlds (me on the right second row)



Today I thought to and was advised by most to take an easy day and drink a few beers so thats exactly what I did!

90 minutes just turning the legs over, another warm day 29c I think with a very light breeze it was just a brilliant day to be on the bike just cruising I really enjoyed it. My legs weren't sore, more just empty, I don't believe I could have raced even if I wanted too!

First having seen the placings from my race yesterday I'm ruing my decision to race on Friday even more. I already knew that I wasn't recovered properly particularly at the top end but having seen the top ten, I should have been there, I can't say I would have one or even medalled but there were guys there that I can beat, do beat. Oh well what could've been, its not going to keep me awake at night I know I did the best I could on the day.

The Euskatel team bus and lorry are here at the hotel at the moment, in between the Tour of Poland and the ENECO and some other races, one of the drivers speaks good English so I got the update but when I asked him what happens at the end of the year he just shrugged, a very impressive piece of body language that Europeans use a lot to express a range of different responses.

Today the village hosted a 'Elites without contract' Kermis, which I assume equates to the old Kermis races that we used to race 40+ years ago. The crowd and the hoopla were the same and it was easy to identify the racing I do with these young guns, always somebody up the road and if you just sit you're going to be toast. Of course these boys with the baby faces are bit a bit more like whippets that the Over 60 crowd but........

What I did think was sad was the fact that there was a better crowd today than for the big deal womens race over the same finishing circuit, although somebody did mention that its a local holiday today, still a bit disappointing though. I suppose the fact is that the Belgians have been supporting their local Kermis for simply ever.

Wim the Chef here moved the resteraunt and the bar out into the little square outside and did a big BBQ, not quite an OZ BBQ but then you wouldn't expect a good chef to do what I do in the back yard. I can vouch that it was delicious, I really enjoyed it and the young staff, young to me anyway, are a lot of fun so it was a good evening. Wim the chef and Jurgen the hotel owner were vying to buy me Leffe beers and I admit I was sinking fast so I thought I ought to beat a retreat while I could. The party is still going on I can hear the music, pity my daughter came last week, I didn't really know it was on, she would have had a ball, they already call her my 'crazy daughter' here, a term of endearment, I assure you, she's not totally crazy!

Tomorrow another easy ride but I'll make a few top end efforts to get my body back in the mood so to speak and I'll race on Wednesday.

Entretainment tomorrow is to watch juniors do battle over the same course as today, so I'll be able to sit at the top of our little hill and watch them knock .... out of each other,

No comments:

Post a Comment