Thursday, July 25, 2013

A very lazy day




Trying to recover from yesterday’s race was the sole plan today. The plan started with an extra hour in bed and a later breakfast followed by 90 minutes at Active Recovery pace, letting the legs spin but with no real pressure on the pedals. The weather was very conducive to a nice easy bike ride, warm again but with a pleasant cooling light wind, prefect for an easy bike ride, simply trying to get the blood flowing through my muscles to help clear out ‘stuff’, mostly accumulated Lactic Acid.

I bumped into Peter Ryalls by the Schelde Canal, just shows you what a small world it is, but around the Ghent area riding by the canals will find you many bike riders of all calibres sooner or later, No Pro’s today but there are usually some out and about.

This afternoon after having my lunch on the patio I actually had a nap, not something I’m prone to and to be honest I wasn’t planning it but lying on my bed reading I was gone pretty quickly but that’s Ok I didn’t miss my dinner. Wim the chef was trying to convince me that Moules (mussels) cooked in white wine, the special of the day was what I should have but although I don’t mind them from time to time they can sometimes be a bit dodgy so I declined.
Next race will be Saturday in Holland, the last time I rode it I crashed! I plan to avoid that outcome this year. I understand it’s a new course but I hope the finish is the same, I recollect it as dead straight for about 800 metres, after about 500 metres of cobbles. Of course because I’ve said it’s a good finish for me something will go wrong! A bit like I said Wednesday wasn’t a good finish for me!

I had a quick review of yesterdays race power file and there were a few interesting little facts, well I thought so anyway.

-Total elevation gained was 3 metres, which will have been down to the speed bumps or traffic calmer’s.

-The average speed along the back straight around 48kph every lap until the last three when it dropped to 45kph, that would explain why I was able to get back in the race towards the end, everybody else was getting as tired as I was!

-I pulled over 1000 watts 21 times jumping out of those darned slow corners each lap

I spent the evening sorting out the technical difficulties of connecting high speed/high bandwidth WiFi for my PC thats more used to low speed/low bandwidth diet in Briagolong. I think the poor thing was just overwhelmed, mind you at least I understand what's going on with Windows XP, I also have a tablet with me, mainly for books, that runs Windows 8, it may or not be OK but finding comparable control functions is a bit of a nightmare!





No comments:

Post a Comment